What if I am unhappy with the service provided by the Legal Ombudsman?

What if I am unhappy with the service provided by the Legal Ombudsman?

If you have a complaint about the service we have provided then you should raise these issues with us at the earliest opportunity.

An example of a service complaint might include our failure to keep you informed or our failure to explain things properly to you.

Please contact the investigator at the Legal Ombudsman who you usually deal with. They, with their manager, will try to put right anything we may have done wrong as quickly as possible. They will acknowledge your complaint about our service and they will then look into your concern.

If we are unable to resolve your complaint about our service at this stage, we will explain the full process we have for responding to you so that you can decide what to do next.

Our service complaint procedure does not cover any dissatisfaction felt about the outcome of an investigation or any final decision that we make about the level of service provided.

We will always explain the reasons for our decisions, but once an ombudsman’s decision is made then the investigation process is complete under the rules of the Legal Ombudsman scheme. The decision is final and there is no appeal process against an ombudsman’s decision. The only way to overturn it is by way of a court action called ‘judicial review’.

It would be sensible, though, to get independent legal advice before taking this route. The time limits for applying to court are very short, so you should take that legal advice straight away if this is what you have in mind.

Please see our complaints procedure for more information.