What we expect from regulated service providers
Guidance and resources
Our scheme rules
Our scheme rules are approved by the Legal Services Board and the Lord Chancellor as required by the Legal Services Act 2007.
The rules set out the framework for how the Legal Ombudsman resolves complaints about legal services.
You can download the revised scheme rules as a pdf if you click on the link below.
Scheme rules (pdf – opens in new window)
You can also view our short video ‘Here to help’ (below) which helps explains our rules.
We consulted on the scheme rules in 2009, 2012 and 2015. You can see the consultation drafts and responses in our publications section, under the relevant tabs. Following the 2015 consultation we made a decision to postpone our application to be an ADR entity therefore the changes consulted on in 2015 will not be implemented at the present time.
What to expect from our scheme
How do we resolve complaints?
How case fees operate
Publishing ombudsman decisions
- Accident Management Claim (AMC)0
- Administrative documents0
- Annual reports0
- Audit and Risk Committee0
- Board papers0
- Case summaries0
- Closed consultations0
- Closed tenders0
- CMC case study0
- Complaint form0
- Consultation feedback0
- Consultation responses0
- Consumer guides0
- Corporate reporting0
- Easy read0
- Fact sheets0
- Gifts and hospitality0
- Governance and framework0
- Guidance and resources0
- Open letters0
- Our board0
- Our policies0
- Packaged Bank Account0
- Payment protection insurance (PPI)0
- Press releases0
- Public interest case0
- Remuneration and Nomination Committee0
- Research and Surveys0
- Scheme rules0
- Service provider guides0
- Strategy and budget0
- Terms of reference0
- Thematic reports0
- Welsh Language0
What our customers are saying
"You were so nice on the phone and even when I did not agree with you you still stayed just as nice and courteous. You also did everything promptly."
"On a final note I would like to end by thanking you personally for the kind patience and attention you have consistently shown in your dealings with me throughout the whole of your investigation into my complaint."
"...Firstly on behalf of my Father, family and I, I wish to extend our sincere appreciations of your valued assistance in investigating the specific issues and concerns raised within our formal complaint to the Legal Ombudsman, and for the empathetic and courteous manner in which you have managed our complaint..."
"I do apologise for airing my frustration in our telephone conversation on 12th August 2014. I appreciate you have a challenging job in balancing evidence. I must compliment you for remaining calm and polite whilst under pressure from criticism."
"I felt that I had to send you a little card to express how sincerely grateful I am for your expert time, advice and dedication on achieving a closure to an ongoing problem with my solicitor. Not only did you help me regain the damages I had been awarded, you have relieved the stressful situation that had been affecting my health and mental stability for so long."
"Once again my wife and I would like to thank you for an excellent service, and appreciate your hard work and effort to bring this case to a satisfactory conclusion."
- Can you be confident speaking on the phone? Are you able to use IT systems? Are you proficient and confident in bei… https://t.co/nA2fd1b2Vn
- This afternoon, Our Chief Ombudsman, Rebecca Marsh will be attending the NIPSO Best Practice event in Belfast. The… https://t.co/PrJ07gEajT
- Have you received a complaint about your service? See our guide to good complaints handling for some advice on how… https://t.co/qESOupZWrC
- Our Senior Ombudsman, Clair Daniel, is in Wales today (18 October) to deliver a seminar on complaint handling to Legal Network Wales.
- On 12 Dec @UniversityofLaw, we'll be running a course looking at the common issues lawyers face when handling compl… https://t.co/OYdfHdL41e
- Miss B was going through a difficult time and decided to cancel her contract with her claims management company, bu… https://t.co/SaG1BIGa24
Something wrong with this page?
Please don’t include any personal/ financial information.