Claims management company complaints

You can use our website to tell us about problems with the service you’ve received from your claims management company.

We can’t help with every problem, so please read our FAQs and the information on this page before you make a complaint.

Have you had poor service from a claims management company? Watch our video.

Who can use our service?

Our scheme rules dictate who can bring a complaint to us and the timeframes in which we can accept them. Find out more about our scheme rules

Members of the public

We prefer you to come to us directly, but you can ask a friend, relative or anyone else to get in touch on your behalf (we will need you to tell us that this person has your permission to speak to us directly). You don’t need to use a service provider to complain to us, but if you do, they may charge you a fee.

Charities, clubs and trusts

Charities, clubs or associations with an annual income of less than £1 million; or a trustee of a trust with net assets worth less than £1 million.

Very small businesses

Must not employ any more than nine full-time staff or have an annual turnover in excess of €2 million or a balance sheet total in excess of €2 million.

When can you tell us about your complaint?

If you have a problem with your claims management company – for example, if you received poor service when you made a PPI claim or a personal injury claim – then we’d like to hear from you as soon as possible.

We can only help you to resolve the problem with your claims management company once certain criteria, outlined below, have been met.

Contact your claims management company

We can only start investigating a problem after you have made a complaint to your service provider. They have up to eight weeks to respond. If you aren’t happy with their final response, or they haven’t responded within eight weeks, you can ask us to look at it.

You can find out more about how to complain to the claims management company here.

If you’ve already complained to your service provider but haven’t received a response, please check that they have received your complaint.

Wait for their final response

Their final response should tell you that they have nothing further to say in response to your complaint and, if you are still unhappy with the reply, to contact the Legal Ombudsman.

Contact us as soon as you can after trying to resolve your complaint with the service provider – don’t delay.


Ordinarily, you can ask us to look at your complaint if it meets all three of the conditions below:

  1. The problem or when you found out about it, happened after 5 October 2010; and
  2. You are referring your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within either of the following:
  • Six years of the problem happening; or
  • Three years from when you found out about it; and
  1. You are referring your complaint to us within six months of your service provider’s final response.

Let's get started

Once you have made a complaint to your service provider, they have up to eight weeks to respond. If you aren’t happy with their final response, or they haven’t responded within eight weeks, you can then ask us to look at it.

Before you tell us about your complaint, please answer the questions below to check if we can help. There are, however, some situations which these quick questions may not include, so if after answering the questions, you still think that you meet our guidelines, please tell us more about your complaint by completing our complaint form below.

Before we can help with your complaint, you will need to:

already have complained to the provider, use this handy template to complain to your provider;

know the date that the problem happened and the dates that you made the complaint;

have the complaint letter and service provider’s final response available to send us;

provide us with your email address and other contact information.

If you are unhappy with a service you’ve received from a claims management company you can make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman; simply phone us on the following number or download and complete the complaint form.

The guidelines that decide whether we can help you are set out above and in our FAQs. If we cannot help, there are other organisations that might be able to help you.

Call us

0300 555 0333

We are open 8.30am to 5.30pm Mon-Fri.
Calls will cost no more than those to national geographic numbers (starting 01 or 02) from both mobiles and landlines. If you are calling from overseas, please call: +44 121 245 3050

NGT Lite users:
18001 0300 555 0333

Minicom text phone user:
18002 0300 555 0333

More information about NGT Lite and Minicom text phone can be found here.

Make a complaint

Answer the questions to see if we are the right organisation to help you. If it looks like we can help you we will ask you to complete our online complaint form

You will need to provide documents and personal information. If you do not want to complete the online form, you can also download it and send by email.

Go to questions

How do we resolve complaints?

Every complaint we receive goes through a process that ensures it is dealt with in a fair and consistent way.

The three steps below tell you more about what happens after you tell us about your complaint.



Our first step is to check that we can help resolve your problem; so we will ask about you, your service provider, and the timeframes to make sure we have powers to investigate your complaint.

We will ask you to send us a copy of your complaint and the final response from the service provider.

For more information on how we resolve complaints view our factsheets:
Here to help sort out problems with your service provider
How to complain to your Claims Management Company
Our process once your complaint is agreed



If we can investigate your problem, your case will be passed to an investigator who will look at the facts and form an independent view about what happened.

Sometimes, after we look at the facts, we find that there was no poor service. If we find that there was poor service, we will first try to help you and your service provider to resolve the issue quickly and informally. It’s best for everyone, and quicker, if an amicable agreement can be reached.


Resolving complaints

From the start of the investigation we will look for opportunities to resolve your problem that you and your service provider can agree to, in order to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible for you.

If this is not possible, your case will be referred to a senior investigator. They will write a preliminary decision that may propose a remedy or action the service provider should take. We will send a copy of the preliminary decision to both you and the service provider for you to provide any comments or evidence which may change our view. An ombudsman may be required to make a decision, which, once agreed, is final and binding. An ombudsman decision may be less favourable than any remedies proposed during our investigation.

Consumer guidance

Claims management companies - can we help?

Instructing a claims management company

Are you thinking of instructing a claims management company to handle your claim?

Take a look at our ‘top tips’ for things you should consider first.

Common mistakes made by customers

Sometimes things can go wrong and the service you receive isn’t up to scratch. We can help you if you have received poor service from your claims management company (CMC), but wouldn’t it be nice if things didn’t go wrong in the first place?

With this in mind, we want to tell you about some of the common mistakes we have seen CMC customers make.

Who deals with which complaints?

We recognise that customers who have used a claims management company (CMC) to complain about a financial product or service, such as Payment Protection Insurance (PPI), may have a complaint about the service they have received from their CMC. In these circumstances, you could end up having two different ombudsman schemes dealing with different aspects of your complaint. The Financial Ombudsman Service is looking at the PPI claim against your financial service provider and the Legal Ombudsman is looking at the service you have received from the CMC you instructed to deal with the claim. We hope this guide helps to explain what role each organisation plays.

Accident Management and Repairs

Have you been involved in a road traffic accident and used the services of a claims management company (CMC)? Are you unhappy about the service you received?

 We hope this guide helps to explain who we can help.

Section 75 guidance

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 says that a credit card company is ‘jointly and severally liable’ for any
breach of contract or misrepresentation by the company to which you have paid money. This means it may be equally
responsible for the service provided by a claims management company (CMC). You may be able to make a claim to your
credit card provider to request they address the poor service, or they refund any fees you have paid up-front.

Guide to making section 75 and chargeback claims

Important things to know about how we handle your information

  • All calls to the Legal Ombudsman may be recorded and used for training and monitoring purposes
  • All paper documents sent to us by post are shredded so please only send copies and keep the originals for yourself.
  • We may share your information with other third parties such as approved regulators and for research purposes
  • The Legal Ombudsman will share information provided by you with others who are directly involved in the investigation of your complaint, on a confidential basis, including the lawyer or law firm involved and regulators, such as the Solicitors Regulation Authority or Bar Standards Board.
  • Information provided to you by the Legal Ombudsman during the investigation of your complaint should be treated as confidential and not passed on to anyone else.

Something wrong with this page?

Help us improve



Please don’t include any personal/ financial information.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


What went wrong?/Or what were you looking for?