Our scheme rules
Our scheme rules are approved by the Legal Services Board and the Lord Chancellor as required by the Legal Services Act 2007.
The rules set out the framework for how the Legal Ombudsman resolves complaints about legal services.
You can download the revised scheme rules as a pdf if you click on the link below.
Scheme rules (pdf – opens in new window)
You can also view our short video ‘Here to help’ (below) which helps explains our rules.
We consulted on the scheme rules in 2009, 2012 and 2015. You can see the consultation drafts and responses in our publications section, under the relevant tabs. Following the 2015 consultation we made a decision to postpone our application to be an ADR entity therefore the changes consulted on in 2015 will not be implemented at the present time.
Learning from complaints
Welcome to the first in a series of new online case study publications. The Legal Ombudsman’s role is two-fold: to investigate complaints about the service people have received from their legal service provider; and to feedback to the profession on any trends or issues we see in our role as the complaint handling body for the legal sector.
Guidance and resources
What we expect from regulated service providers
What to expect from our scheme
How do we resolve complaints?
How case fees operate
Publishing ombudsman decisions
- Administrative documents0
- Annual reports0
- Audit and Risk Committee0
- Case summaries0
- Cases about buying property0
- Cases about civil litigation0
- Cases about criminal law0
- Cases about employment law0
- Cases about family law0
- Cases about immigration and asylum0
- Cases about personal injury0
- Cases about wills and probate0
- Cases from Claims management complaints0
- Closed consultations0
- Closed tenders0
- CMC case study0
- Complaint form0
- Consultation feedback0
- Consultation responses0
- Consumer guides0
- Current consultations0
- Easy read0
- Fact sheets0
- Gifts and hospitality0
- Governance and framework0
- Guidance and resources0
- Learning from complaints0
- Open letters0
- Our board0
- Our policies0
- Press releases0
- Remuneration and Nomination Committee0
- Research and Surveys0
- Scheme rules0
- Service provider guides0
- Strategy and budget0
- Terms of reference0
- Thematic reports0
- Welsh Language0
What our customers are saying
"I do apologise for airing my frustration in our telephone conversation on 12th August 2014. I appreciate you have a challenging job in balancing evidence. I must compliment you for remaining calm and polite whilst under pressure from criticism."
"I take this opportunity to thank you for the professionalism and the practical approach with understanding you showed in resolving the complaint, the senior Partner also conveys his regards and appreciation to your service."
"...Firstly on behalf of my Father, family and I, I wish to extend our sincere appreciations of your valued assistance in investigating the specific issues and concerns raised within our formal complaint to the Legal Ombudsman, and for the empathetic and courteous manner in which you have managed our complaint..."
"I felt that I had to send you a little card to express how sincerely grateful I am for your expert time, advice and dedication on achieving a closure to an ongoing problem with my solicitor. Not only did you help me regain the damages I had been awarded, you have relieved the stressful situation that had been affecting my health and mental stability for so long."
"On a final note I would like to end by thanking you personally for the kind patience and attention you have consistently shown in your dealings with me throughout the whole of your investigation into my complaint."
"Once again my wife and I would like to thank you for an excellent service, and appreciate your hard work and effort to bring this case to a satisfactory conclusion."
- @Lin46222208 @sra_solicitors I'm sorry, this is not an area we can help with. You could try contacting your local Trading Standards.
- Approaching Complaints https://t.co/nA0bOi2y1R
- Just a reminder...join us on #periscopelive at 2pm when we'll be talking about how to recognise and approach compla… https://t.co/DRI5QOEATM
- One of our investigators Emily will be live on Periscope on Monday at 2pm talking about how to recognise and approa… https://t.co/7qRuL5YVck
- Thank you to all the kind hosts in #Devon! @wandagoldwag and @KathrynStoneLeO have just returned from a great visit to law firms and CMCs.
- #parents thinking about when you should make a will & the precautions to take? Here's an article on @MumsnetTowers… https://t.co/RCJPXJC4yI
Something wrong with this page?
Please don’t include any personal/ financial information.