Our scheme rules
Our scheme rules are approved by the Legal Services Board and the Lord Chancellor as required by the Legal Services Act 2007.
The rules set out the framework for how the Legal Ombudsman resolves complaints about services. Our service for claims management complaints began on 28 January 2015, we can accept complaints about service issues from 6 October 2010.
You can download the revised scheme rules as a pdf if you click on the link below. The scheme rules set out who can complain and when complaints can be referred to the Legal Ombudsman. We also set out how the Legal Ombudsman deals with complaints.
Scheme rules (pdf – opens in new window)
We consulted on the scheme rules in 2009, 2012 and 2015. You can see the consultation drafts and responses in our publications section, under the relevant tabs. Following the 2015 consultation we made a decision to postpone our application to be an ADR entity therefore the changes consulted on in 2015 will not be implemented at the present time.
Watch our webinars
Watch our webinars to find out more about the Legal Ombudsman and our team. The webinars look at what a complaint is, our scheme rules and how we will investigate CMC complaints.
What we expect from regulated service providers
What to expect from our scheme
How do we resolve complaints?
How case fees operate
Publishing ombudsman decisions
- Administrative documents0
- Annual reports0
- Audit and Risk Committee0
- Case summaries0
- Cases about buying property0
- Cases about civil litigation0
- Cases about criminal law0
- Cases about employment law0
- Cases about family law0
- Cases about immigration and asylum0
- Cases about personal injury0
- Cases about wills and probate0
- Cases from Claims management complaints0
- Closed consultations0
- Closed tenders0
- CMC case study0
- Complaint form0
- Consultation feedback0
- Consultation responses0
- Consumer guides0
- Current consultations0
- Easy read0
- Fact sheets0
- Gifts and hospitality0
- Governance and framework0
- Guidance and resources0
- Learning from complaints0
- Open letters0
- Our board0
- Our policies0
- Press releases0
- Remuneration and Nomination Committee0
- Research and Surveys0
- Scheme rules0
- Service provider guides0
- Strategy and budget0
- Terms of reference0
- Thematic reports0
- Welsh Language0
- @beth_farndon Hello Beth, please can you send us a message with your case number and we can look into this? Thanks
- We have #jobs at our #Birmingham office for #IT, ombudsmen, #HR & investigators. Benefits include flexible working… https://t.co/rsEiGSNbH9
- Are you a regulated CMC? If so we are holding a stakeholder event aimed at you. To find out more, email cmcenquirie… https://t.co/SSVYTTFDX6
- @MarkGal04292985 Hi Mark. Our CMC dept can explain. Please call 0300 555 0333 option 1 for CMC team so they can tal… https://t.co/OGucNPMSyL
- 22 November is the date for the next professional learning course for legal professionals! To sign up visit:… https://t.co/RBrLRuEZFj
- #WorldMentalHealthDay This @LSB_EngandWal research on vulnerable users has useful tips for lawyers. Watch this vide… https://t.co/LylKcpUK1m
Something wrong with this page?
Please don’t include any personal/ financial information.