What we expect from regulated service providers
Our scheme rules
Our scheme rules are approved by the Legal Services Board and the Lord Chancellor as required by the Legal Services Act 2007.
The rules set out the framework for how the Legal Ombudsman resolves complaints about services. Our service for claims management complaints began on 28 January 2015, we can accept complaints about service issues from 6 October 2010.
You can download the revised scheme rules as a pdf if you click on the link below. The scheme rules set out who can complain and when complaints can be referred to the Legal Ombudsman. We also set out how the Legal Ombudsman deals with complaints.
Scheme rules (pdf – opens in new window)
We consulted on the scheme rules in 2009, 2012 and 2015. You can see the consultation drafts and responses in our publications section, under the relevant tabs. Following the 2015 consultation we made a decision to postpone our application to be an ADR entity therefore the changes consulted on in 2015 will not be implemented at the present time.
Watch our webinars
Watch our webinars to find out more about the Legal Ombudsman and our team. The webinars look at what a complaint is, our scheme rules and how we will investigate CMC complaints.
What to expect from our scheme
How do we resolve complaints?
How case fees operate
Publishing ombudsman decisions
- Administrative documents0
- Annual reports0
- Audit and Risk Committee0
- Case summaries0
- Cases about buying property0
- Cases about civil litigation0
- Cases about criminal law0
- Cases about employment law0
- Cases about family law0
- Cases about immigration and asylum0
- Cases about personal injury0
- Cases about wills and probate0
- Closed consultations0
- Closed tenders0
- Complaint form0
- Consultation feedback0
- Consultation responses0
- Consumer guides0
- Current consultations0
- Easy read0
- Fact sheets0
- Gifts and hospitality0
- Governance and framework0
- Guidance and resources0
- Open letters0
- Our board0
- Our policies0
- Press releases0
- Remuneration and Nomination Committee0
- Research and Surveys0
- Scheme rules0
- Service provider guides0
- Strategy and budget0
- Terms of reference0
- Thematic reports0
- Welsh Language0
- Make sure you stop by on 21-22 March to ask us any questions you may have about #legal #complaints! https://t.co/cI5TkgHfvu
- @Vickyross999 Hi Victoria, thanks for your question but I'm afraid we can't offer legal advice. We'd suggest contac… https://t.co/ExBnMLDJnu
- Concerned about the service you've received from your lawyer? Our new Guide on how to complain helps you to raise y… https://t.co/7yehuNoe9l
- Work in the #legal profession? We have top tips, a guide to good complaint handling, latest research & more to help… https://t.co/R51UhLTjtH
- New CMC courses available! To find out more or to book a place, visit: https://t.co/Ozj8FGDjch https://t.co/PivQagViNp
- We have a new column in @ModernLawMag on its panel of Editorial Board experts. You can read our latest on being ope… https://t.co/e9JVakelRM
Something wrong with this page?
Please don’t include any personal/ financial information.